Background and context
The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) works to improve women’s health care across the world. Founded in 1929, we now have over 16,000 members worldwide and work with a range of partners both in the UK and globally to improve the standard of care delivered to women, encourage the study of obstetrics and gynaecology (O&G) and advance the science and practice of O&G.
20th Century: Crown land and first Royal Patron
The College was granted a "royal" title by His Majesty King George VI in 1938 and the Royal Charter was awarded in 1947, after delay caused by the Second World War.
Initially, the College was housed at 58 Queen Anne Street but, when more space was required, a Crown land site was obtained in Regent’s Park – now our current home at Sussex Place.
The foundation stone of the new building was laid in 1957 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, who was then Patron of the College.
The new College building was completed in 1960 and formally opened by Her Majesty The Queen in July of that year. In 2001 the subterranean Education Centre was opened, providing the College with a 21st century conference facility.
The RCOG welcomed Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Cambridge, as its new Patron in February 2018.
Her Royal Highness attended a special ceremony at the College to officially accept the patronage. The Duchess is the second Patron in the RCOG’s 89 year history, after Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother in 1947.
Aims, objectives and values
Our aim is ‘to set standards to improve women’s health and the clinical practice of obstetrics and gynaecology in the British Isles and across the world’.
Our charitable objectives are to ‘encourage the study, and advance the science and practice, of obstetrics and gynaecology’.
We value innovation, high standards, inclusiveness, trust and openness.